Monday, December 18, 2006

What's the Beef

Plenty, when a joint of prime meat has more than a little extra something that would add to your calorie and cholesterol count.

If you were to buy a 2.74 kilogram piece of roasting beef, how much excess fat would you expect it to have?

100 grams?

200?

Well, I trimmed exactly FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY grams of fat off the joint I bought from a supermarket in King Albert Park in Bukit Timah.

For those of you who are not familiar with the area, this supermarket is in the same building as the McDonald's headquarters in Singapore.

The beef was priced at just over $40 dollars per kilogram.

The whole thing cost me about $110.

According to the supermarket then, the inedible, heart-stopping fat was worth about $22.

With a fifth of the "meat" gone, I was left with only 2 kilos of beef to feed 8 people at dinner.

So it was with much regret that I said goodbye to the possibility of roast beef sandwiches for the next day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having trimmmed the fat, the cost of the edible portion of the beef is slightly above $50 per kg. You made a good effort though with the 1 meat and 2 vegs. I loved the Yorkshire pudding - best I have tasted.

Sister No 1